Specialist Freelance Hairdresser Insurance
As the industry trade body representing the freelance sector we know how important it is that you have the correct Public Liability (PL) Insurance with the appropriate cover. That is why we have developed a bespoke policy in conjunction with Premier Business Care, suited to your needs, underwritten by RSA, a leading insurer. It meets FHA criteria and has the level of cover suited to the way you work, wherever you work and the services you offer (within the territorial limits of the policy). The moment you join, either online or by phone, you are covered, insurance is valid immediately! (Please see further information below on eligibility criteria and significant exclusions).
FHA members’ specialist insurance is suitable for hairdressers and beauty therapists. It includes the new industry skin testing protocol*, the Allergy Alert Test. The Allergy Alert Test is important to members as it gives a realistic and practical solution regarding skin testing and is approved by the FHA and the NHF.
As a brief overview, to comply with FHA protocol you must do a skin test, following manufacturer’s instructions, once a year, unless there is a change in the chosen colour or product range.
Allergy Alert Consultation and Colour Record Cards which give details of working with this protocol are available for members.
Details and costs can be found in the Member Exclusives section.
As a freelance hairdresser, you have a requirement to have adequate Public and Products Liability insurance cover in place. The insurance policy now offered within your FHA membership, underwritten by RSA and arranged by Jelf Insurance Brokers is a group policy, specifically written to include the many services FHA members provide. FHA membership will include insurance cover for:
- services you offer including barbering
- freelance/mobile work including: home salon, care home, rent a chair, session work, tutors
- industry protocol for skin tests
- patches for skin tests
- working with additives
- working with keratin hair products
Please refer to the policy wording for full details of the insurance cover provided and the additional endorsements page, including any significant exclusions or limitations. Click here to view our frequently asked questions.
It is a condition of the Insurance that the Insured Person has:
- gained qualifications recognised by the Freelance Hair Association for the treatments undertaken and has gained 2 years appropriate experience or;
- has gained qualifications recognised by the Freelance Hair Association and is working towards gaining 2 years’ experience and who is undertaking continuous professional development monitored by the Freelance Hair Association.